Towards the end of April I purchased myself a treadmill. It was time to start getting myself into shape again, as well as fit. With a small child, I cannot just take a run around the block and all I need to do is block out 20 minutes to get in a quick workout. My colleague then recently suggested that I register with parkrun and partake at some of their events.
What is parkrun?
parkrun events are:
- Held every weekend (Saturdays at 8am)
- Held over a distance of 5km
- All runners are individually timed
- Held throughout the world
How to join parkrun?
You need to go to their parkrun website and register. Once registered, you will receive an email with your unique barcode which you print and take with to every event. This will be used to record your time.
On the day of the event, you just show up and wait for the start.
Who can join parkrun?
Anyone, bearing in mind that you should be able to complete a 5km run/walk.
Why should you join parkrun?
- It is free
- You are running with like-minded individuals
- Everyone is supportive whether you are Flash or just taking a stroll
- You receive an official time every week by email
- All those health benefits
- Personal achievement
- You can even join an event locally if you are out of town
What happens after your parkrun?
Within 48 hours after completing your run, you will receive an email with your time and placing and links to some wonderful stats.
Lastly, I want to thank all the wonderful organisers and friendly volunteers.